Who should I choose as my Architect?
This is like asking “What kind of car should I purchase?” The first thing you need to do is ask a set of questions.
Let me break this apart into 9 simple steps that can make life easier in choosing the right architect.
9 SIMPLE QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
“The Architect shall perform its services consistent with the professional skill and care ordinarily provided by architects practicing in the same or similar locality under the same or similar circumstances. The Architect shall perform its services as expeditiously as is consistent with such professional skill and care and the orderly progress of the Project.” -American Institute of Architects
- What style of building do I want to create for my use or business?
- Do I want a visionary person who can imagine things that I cannot?
- Do I want an artist or an engineer or both at the same time?
- What kind of personality do I work with best?
- Do I want someone that will be there for me all the way to the final Inspection?
- Does the architect have experience in the type of project I am going to build.?
- Do I want a large firm or a smaller firm?
- What will be my budget for the design work and the final construction cost?
- Do I need to hire the consulting engineers or let the architect handle them?
These are the types of things that will affect your decision. Anyone who is wanting to hire an architect will need to look at the style of their completed buildings and their level of expertise to achieve a detailed set of construction plans. They will also want to talk with the firm’s satisfied clients and maybe even tour some completed projects. The correct architect will greatly affect the final building product and facilitate the process of design, permitting and construction of your project.